Monday, August 10, 2009

The Khyber Pass

A couple weeks ago we went to Torkham Gate, Afghanistan's second largest border crossing. This border crossing area is the backside of the Khyber Pass, which has a long and infamous history. I must admit that it was pretty cool to be walking on the same ground as Alexander the Great and Genghis Khan.

There was a purpose to our trip. We have a project there--a footbridge to alleviate some of the traffic through the border crossing area. The border crossing is extremely busy, with lots of people and trucks coming and going. Work is progressing well, but I think every one was more interested in getting pictures taken at the Afghan-Pak border. We technically stepped a foot or two inside Pakistan, but don't tell anyone! While I was there on the border area, I received a marriage proposal from one of the Afghan Border Police. He has his arm around me in one of the pictures below.

1 comment:

  1. HI - I loved reading your blog about this famous place, Those are the biggest trucks I ever saw. Thanks, A. Margie

    ReplyDelete